1. What is FreeMarriage.in?
FreeMarriage.in is a online matrimony service oriented towards Indian audience.
2. What was the driving force behind your start-up?
Matrimonial portals in India are concentrating more on making money and less on everything else. They keep comparing among themselves with absolutely no out-of-the-box thinking. This approach is harming the customers who want innovative services at lower rates. Rise of technologically advanced portals worldwide has set a new benchmark, which the existing Indian Matrimony portals have failed to meet so far.
We saw an opportunity here and we are investing into innovative features while at the same time ensuring smooth and hassle free online experience. We are in process of implementing some innovative and path breaking ideas which we’ll discuss in the near future.
“Never feel discouraged even in most trying situations during your entrepreneurship journey.”
3. Would you mind sharing at least some insights into those “ground-breaking” features now?
To begin with – we are not charging any of our users and have been providing all our services absolutely free of cost. While our service is fully functional as of now, we are developing more innovative features which will make us unique. Some of those features are:
i) Providing option of matrimonial web service, which would be COMPLETELY in Hindi. Users who do not understand English would be able to use all of our services.
ii) GeoLocating: We are using google services to add exciting geographic location features for users.
iii) HoroMatch: Automatically creating and matching horoscopes.
4. How far do you see the acceptance of your service to the masses?
Users of Online Matrimony Service is expected to reach 21 million users within the next 2 years. We already have an edge over the competition in terms of uniqueness and usability and by then we would be in position to attract a very large user base.
5. How is your start-up doing do so far? Any significant achievements to share?
While we are witnessing a huge interest from Indian user base, we were pleased to note that a large user base of user base is outside India as well. This proves we are able to attract a global user base with emphasis on India.
6. Please tell us more about yourself, your position & other key players in your start-up.
Our team has a right mix of technical and business know-how. We have put-in our hard work to successfully create and run a matrimonial portal. While we all have requisite knowledge for managing such a portal, we anticipate many challenges ahead. Those challenges can be technical, business related or related to efficient utilization of available resources at hand.
Sudhakar Pratap Singh: COO (Master of Computer Applications)
Diwakar Pratap Singh: Director and CTO (Master of Computer Applications with around 7 years of software industry experiences in communications domain)
Shipra Singh: Head of Marketing and Business Communications (MBA (Marketing))
7. How large is the team behind your start-up?
Right now we are a team of 4. Since we are a startup, we have to keep our team size optimal. We plan to add more associates with us in near future.
8. How are you funded?
We are pitching to a few investors and faring well in our talks with the VCs. Our thought process has been able to evoke a lot of interest and we hope to close a deal pretty soon.
9. What were the hurdles you had to cross while setting up your start-up?
Main hurdles are
i) Turning your idea into a workable model, and
ii) Capital requirement.
While we have overcome the first hurdle, we are in the process of jumping over the other one too.
10. What are key technologies your service is built upon or the ones that aid in your processes and why did you opt for them?
We have opted for open source technologies because of:
i) Freedom from dependency on a vendor
ii) Excellent troubleshooting available on the web for almost all potential problems
iii) Cost factor
11. In your experience, what has been the most effective way to market a business?
So far, we have experienced that Google paid services are very effective way of promotions.
12. What is the best advice you’ve ever received.
Never feel discouraged even in most trying situations during your entrepreneurship journey.
13. On a personal front, who is your role model? Also, do you follow any other websites on a regular basis?
In web world, I would say Sabeer Bhatia because of his vision. Though I feel he could have done better by extending his ideas instead of selling them off.
I follow all Indian startup websites. I like Google news for news and register.co.uk for technical articles.
14. How much time do you devote to your venture on a daily basis?
I personally spend almost 4-5 hours daily on weekdays and full time during weekends. Other team members also devote their precious time to the venture.
15. Does being an entrepreneur affect your lifestyle? Do you get enough time for yourself/family?
It is a bit difficult to get more time for your family but I guess any entrepreneur has to devote more time to the venture initially while on the path to prove themselves.
16. Tell us One thing that you love the most?
17. Something that can keep you awake for nights together.
Working on an idea turning it into reality.
(If you are an Indian startup and would like to be interviewed or featured on Startups.in then we’d be happy to talk to you. Contact us right away.)